Open to Internal & External Candidates
Senior Project Assistant-CCCM
Type of Appointment
SVN, Six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date
As soon as possible
27.08.2021 to 10.09.2021
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal & External candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy.
General functions: Under the direct supervision of Hawassa head of Sub office, and technical supervision of CCCM Senior Assistant in the IOM office in Addis Ababa, the Senior CCCM project assistant shall be responsible to carry out general duties related to IOM’s camp coordination and camp management (CCCM) support activities by the IOM field team in Konso in the SNNP Region. In particular, he/she will be responsible for the following duties and responsibilities:
Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
1. Lead field level CCCM activities and field team in coordination with Head of Sub Office and Project Manager which are accessible and can be managed from the IOM sub-office, update field mission plans in consultation with the CCCM Project Manager/Officer and implement accordingly.
2. Monitor the services and the gaps/needs in the CCCM intervention locations and coordinate and advocate for effective service provision and mitigation of gaps/overlaps with the related partners, government authorities and other relevant stakeholders by managing and sharing authentic information,
3. Support and co-chair the Woreda/Special Woreda Authorities to organize the coordination meetings, organize the partners’ meeting in case the government authorities are not available as per the schedule,
4. Updating partners’ and stakeholders’ contact list and 5W matrix,
5. Participate in assessments of disaster/conflict affected communities, including IDP settlements, seasonal assessments, joint rapid assessments and intention surveys, FGDs in the region with the government and humanitarian partners as needed.
6. Represent CCCM (IOM) in relevant forums including bi-weekly CCCM, Shelter and NFI Cluster meeting, Durable Solutions Working Group, weekly Humanitarian Coordination Forum, UN Inter-Sector Coordination Meeting, and participate in any other relevant regional, Zonal and Special Woredas coordination meetings like Emergency Operation Centre Meetings etc. in close collaboration with UN OCHA and humanitarian partners available in the area and update CCCM Project Manager/Officer.
7. Contribute to Head of sub-office/CCCM PM/Officer updates on emerging humanitarian issues and gaps relating to CCCM and possible new areas of intervention including COVID-19 status and the needed response.
8. Coordinate with the other sub-units as needed, and monitor all the activities at field/sites/camps including both community engagement and CCCM related physical work and track material receipt, storage and delivery at sites and progress of the work through technical subordinates,
9. Lead CCCM project implementation through awareness raising, including COVID – 19 Response, Risk Communication and Community Engagement (RCCE) and construction works by developing proper work plan and capacity building of the staff,
10. Establish the inclusive community governance/leadership structures in the displaced sites and provided capacity building and the established governance structures are engaged in community mobilization and community engagement activities for all types of humanitarian responses including two ways communication and complaint and feedback mechanism,
11. Ensure that all visibility material required by the donors and IOM are procured and sent to the field (including COVID-19 related information and prevention). Also liaise with field staff to make sure these material are being used properly.
12. Participate in development and delivery of trainings for EPC Unit (like protection mainstreaming, GBV and PSEA) to enhance sub-office performance standards and service delivery to our beneficiaries.
13. Develop the capacity building plan for the government authorities, partners and the staff on Basic CCCM with support from CCCM Project Manager/Officer,
14. Draft and submit monthly and weekly reports (including MEAL report) to the Project Manager/Officer and Head of Sub-Office(s).
15. Comply with UNDSS security protocol and internal IOM procedures.
16. Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
· University degree in Social Sciences, Business Administration or related field of study or a combination of training and relevant working experience
· 7 years relevant work experience for BA Degree holders and 5 years for Master’s Degree holders
· Experience related to disaster response and transition and recovery programs with humanitarian agencies.
· Practical experience and detailed knowledge of the disaster risk management, with emphasis on disaster response and recovery programs is essential.
· Thorough knowledge of data protection issues in emergency operation and utilization of Microsoft Office application including databases is required.
· In depth knowledge of the broad range of migration related subject areas dealt with by the Organization; and,
· Knowledge of UN and bilateral donor programming.
· Knowledge of financial rules and regulations.
· Knowledge of International Public Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS)
· Good computer knowledge in MS office packages.
· Ability to adapt technical knowledge and expertise to specific project or activities; ability to work with colleagues from different cultural and professional backgrounds; flexibility to perform and deliver in difficult and rapidly changing situations is essential.
· Ability to work quickly and accurately and pay attention to detail.
· Willingness to assist efficiently in a very busy project environment.
· Ability to meet deadlines and work under pressure.
· Ability to present clear and concise information and good communication skills i.e., Strong writing and reporting skills,
· Ability to work effectively and harmoniously with colleagues from varied cultures and professional backgrounds.
· Thorough knowledge of spoken and written English is required
· Working knowledge of Amharic and Konso languages is advantageous
VALUES AND COMPETENCIES: The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies –
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their application/ motivation letter enclosed with only detail CV written in English via our e-mail address RECADDIS@IOM.INT, or by Sptember 10, 2021, the latest, referring the position title, Vacancy number and the duty station in the subject line of your email. (Example: Application for Senior Project Assistant-CCCM, IOM-SVN/0109/2021, Konso) no photocopies of educational/training certificates is required at this stage; applicant who doesn`t follow the required application procedure will automatically be disqualified from the competition.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.