I. Job Summary
The purpose of the Senior Planning and Technical Manager position is to provide management support and supervision to the team of technical managers belonging to CARE Ethiopia’s Humanitarian Unit. In doing so, s/he will ensure technical rigor and excellence across key sectors. S/he will also lead new proposal development efforts in close coordination with his/ her team of technical managers. The post holder will ensure all programs are designed in accordance with humanitarian best practice and international standards and guidance. S/he will also work in close coordination with the Learning Design and Measurement (LDM) Manager and program coordinator to ensure documentation and dissemination of lessons learned through practical implementation.
- Assist in the development of departmental work plans and cascade the same to individual work plans
- Ensure staff APPAs include KPIs which are continuously monitored and measured against progress
- Ensure that APAAs (annual and semiannual) are completed in a timely manner and submitted to HR
- Create a collaborative and conducive work environment for team members with the aim of strengthening team work and job satisfaction
- Conduct periodic gap assessments for training needs and identify targeted capacity support to staff (program, Addis and FOs)
- Facilitate conflict resolution mechanisms and ensure that grievance and whistle-blowing mechanisms are functional and fairly administered as per CARE policy
- Support program coordinator and humanitarian program managers in the identification of new business opportunities
- Lead and coordinate new proposal development for CARE’s humanitarian portfolio
- Coordinate and liaise with CARE member states about new opportunities and more specifically work with agreed contacts on new proposal opportunities
- Ensure new proposals are in line with CARE’s strategic direction for its humanitarian portfolio
- Ensure that new proposals accurately budget for core humanitarian unit requirements
- Ensure that new proposal design considers and integrates up to date technical standards and guidance for each sector
- Ensure protection and gender issues are mainstreamed in new proposals In coordination with the HPMs and the HOM, work with FOs to ensure FO program initiatives progressively include communities and local organizations in participatory planning and implementation of development projects.
- Ensure that capacities of FO staff are strengthened to mainstream and adopt organizational core values, policies, procedures and program approaches (e.g. RBA, GED, underlying causes of poverty, CI program standards and principles) and ensure that they are clearly understood and adhered to in the daily functioning of the field offices and that information to monitor program progress and organizational performance, including periodic audits, is collected and used for organizational learning, decision-making and reporting, and for promoting innovations.
Job Responsibility #3: Program quality of CARE’s humanitarian activities
- In coordination with the Humanitarian LDM and the senior program and operations manager, ensure regular monitoring of project activities is being conducted
- Ensure documentation and dissemination of learning and integration into new proposals
- Support documentation of best practice and thought leadership in humanitarian response
- Ensure the development of realistic and strategically focused detailed implementation plans (DIP) per project which encompass existing commitments to donors and government and are subsequently supported by individual operation plans of the field office team
- Ensure that technical managers assess and identify technical assistance needs with regard to technical skills, supervision support, etc. for partners and staff
- Monitor the timely and appropriate support (technical, administrative and financial)by the respective departments and sections for quality program implementation
- Ensure that reports are prepared and submitted to concerned parties, donors, counterparts and CARE members on time and in a professional quality manner
- Ensure compliance with specific Donor’s and CARE’s policies and procedures
- Ensure capacities of FO staff strengthened to mainstream and adopt organizational core values, policies, procedures and program approaches (e.g. RBA, GED, underlying causes of poverty, CI program standards and principles) are clearly understood and adhered to in the daily functioning of the field offices and that information to monitor program progress and organizational performance, including periodic audits, is collected and used for organizational learning, decision-making and reporting, and for promoting innovations
Job Responsibility #4: Financial Management
- Lead the development of budgets as part of the financial proposal development
- Ensure budget utilization and establish systems to improve financial management and utilization of unit budgets per plans and commitments made to donors and government, and that appropriate revisions and adjustments are made as required
- Work closely with CARE’S financial analysis and reporting manager on humanitarian budget pipeline analysis to ensure real time budget monitoring
- Support HRMs and the senior program operations manager in efforts to ensure field level expenses are managed efficiently and recorded in a timely manner
Job Responsibility #5: Networking and Learning
- Establish and maintain formal and informal communication mechanisms with government, local partners, donors and other stakeholders in the humanitarian sector
- Monitor developments in the humanitarian sector at large and in CARE Ethiopia’s key sectors of competence and share accordingly with the wider team
- Participate in the documentation and dissemination of lessons learned and best practice
- Oversee and support sector advisors’ engagement of humanitarian networks and clusters
Job Responsibility #6: Other
- Perform other duties as assigned
III. GENDER EQUALITY AND PSHEA
- Understanding and demonstrated commitment to the importance of gender, youth and social inclusion issues.
- Demonstrated commitment to principles of Gender Equity, Diversity, Inclusion and PSEAH (safeguarding), as evidenced in previous positions / programming.
IV. QUALIFICATIONS (KNOW HOW)
- BA/MA in International Development or related field of study
- 6 years of relevant experience with the first degree or 5 years of relevant experience plus post graduate degree in humanitarian programming.
- At least 2 years of management experience
- NGO experience is a plus
- Oversees/international experience with an international NGO is an advantageous
- Proven management skills
- Project management experience
- Proposal and report writing skills
- Excellent representational skills
- Fluent spoken and written English
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Respect, accountability, courage, excellence, communication with impact, political acumen, planning and organizing, initiating action, coaching, innovation, inter personal skill, information monitoring, stress tolerance.
CARE Ethiopia is committed to preventing all unwanted behavior at work. This includes sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse, and child abuse. We expect everyone who works for us to share this commitment by understanding and working within the CARE Safeguarding Policy and related framework. CARE Ethiopia has a zero-tolerance approach to any harm to, or exploitation of, a vulnerable adult or child by any of our staff, representatives or partners.
CARE Ethiopia reserves the right to seek information from job applicants’ current and/or previous employers about incidents of sexual exploitation, sexual abuse and/or sexual harassment the applicant may have been found guilty to have committed or about which an investigation was in the process of being carried out at the time of the termination of the applicant’s employment with that employer.
By submitting the application, the job applicant confirms that s/he has no objection to CARE Ethiopia requesting the information specified above. All offers of employment will be subject to satisfactory references and appropriate screening checks.
If you are interested to be part of our dynamic team, exciting work environment and contribute to CARE Ethiopia’s mission and vision, please send your CV (not more than 3 pages) and cover letter (not more than one page) through Ethio Jobs
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
This position will have a one year contract with a possibility of Extension.
Passionate and dedicated candidates who meet the requirement are strongly encouraged to apply, especially women!