This position is open to internal and external applicants.
Organizational Setting and Work Relationship
Under the overall supervision of the Associate IT Service Delivery Management Officer, the Snr IT Assistant provides reliable and timely IT services on the application and infrastructure of UNHCR standard IT services in Debark Field office and in order area if need be. S/he normally receives technical guidance from the Associate IT Service Delivery Management Officer for the Telecom and IT infrastructure in Debark Field Office or emergency operation exists. In no presence of the Associate IT SDM Officer, direct supervision may be exercised by the Assistant Admin Officer as applicable in the duty station.
The incumbent will work closely with local electrician for the maintenance of electricity network, generators and batteries systems installed in the office.
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR’s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
- Assist the office in implementing set standards for applications that meets the needs of the users and supports the overall Information and Communication Technology.
- Monitor and maintain the LAN, Network Servers, Routers, Printers, LAN Points, Switches, Patch panels, Access points, HF and VHF bases, HF and VHF relay stations, Satellite Modem’s to prevent faults occurring.
- Carry out missions for new installations and routine maintenance tours of ICT equipment.
- Ensure that ICT problem recovery is done as quickly as possible and make regular system back-ups.
- Assist with the installation of the software packages, basic repair/maintenance of computer hardware, HF and VHF equipment.
- Train UNHCR staff on email system, utilization of VHF handhelds, telephone system.
- Add and remove users from the Networks.
- Maintain the inventory of ICT equipment and keep track of movements of ICT equipment.
- Draft mails and memoranda on ICT matters.
- Assist in the drafting of technical documentation on radio equipment operating procedures
- Certify invoices and delivery notes and pass for payment.
- Evaluate needs for upgrading and eventually replacing ICT equipment in the field, to meet with UNHCR standards.
- Select the most efficient and economic means for the transmission of messages, taking into consideration the nature and priority of communications to be transmitted.
- Carry out administrative duties, within the area of competence as assigned.
- Decide on appropriate resolution to incidents.
- Escalating incidents where they cannot be resolved at the office level
- Perform other related duties as required.
Education & Professional Work Experience
Years of Experience / Degree Level
- For G5- 2 years relevant experience with High School Diploma; or 1 year relevant work experience with Bachelor or equivalent or higher
Field(s) of Education
- High School degree in ICT or related subject
Certificates and/or Licenses
- Information Technology.
- CCNA Routing and Switching, or Voice
- ITIL certification to the V3 Foundation level as a minimum.
- Formal training and certification on satellite communication and IT systems.
Relevant Job Experience
- Experience relevant to the function or particularly on HF/VHF radio or IT systems, PAMA satellite systems, PABX, Cisco routers and satellite modems.
- Hands-on experience with wireless and VoIP systems, electricity, generators, lightning protection an asset. Previous experience in Emergencies is an advantage.
- IT-Computer Literacy
All UNHCR workforce members must individually and collectively, contribute towards a working environment where each person feels safe, and empowered to perform their duties. This includes by demonstrating no tolerance for sexual exploitation and abuse, harassment including sexual harassment, sexism, gender inequality, discrimination and abuse of power.
As individuals and as managers, all must be proactive in preventing and responding to inappropriate conduct, support ongoing dialogue on these matters and speaking up and seeking guidance and support from relevant UNHCR resources when these issues arise.
This is a Standard Job Description for all UNHCR jobs with this job title and grade level. The Operational Context may contain additional essential and/or desirable qualifications relating to the specific operation and/or position. Any such requirements are incorporated by reference in this Job Description and will be considered for the screening, shortlisting and selection of candidates.
- Organizational Awareness
- Teamwork & Collaboration
- Commitment to Continuous Learning
- Client & Result Orientation
- Empowering and Building Trust
- Analytical Thinking
- Innovation and Creativity
- Technological Awareness
- English is essential
- Amharic and Tigrinya are desirable
The closing date for submission of applications is 10 September 2021 Midnight, Ethiopia Time.