BBC Media Action
BBC Media Action uses media and communications to reduce poverty and as a force for positive social change. To achieve this, the BBC Media Action partners with civil society, local media and governments to:
- Produce creative programmes in multi-media formats, based on robust research, which inform and engage audiences around key development issues.
- Strengthen the media sector through building professional capacity and infrastructure.
BBC Media Action delivers a portfolio of media projects in Ethiopia. It seeks to expand this portfolio of work, but also ensure that existing projects are delivered to time, to budget and to the highest standards, and in accordance with BBC editorial values as well as BBC Media Action methodologies.
BBC Media Action Ethiopia is recruiting a creative and highly motivated Senior Content Producer. We are looking for someone with creative flair and boundless energy who will make an important contribution to the team’s work.
Overall Purpose of Job
The Senior Content Producer will lead the conceptualization and creation of multimedia contents for radio, TV, social media, and other online platforms. (S)he, together with the Senior Digital Media Producer will ensure that contents are editorially and technically sound and meet BBC standards. The role will also involve managing producers to originate, research, prepare, produce a range of multimedia content. (S)he will also support the Senior Digital Media Producer to source and distribute timely, informative and engaging content. Such contents will include short films for TV and social media, radio and TV spots/public service announcements and compelling graphics and other still content. All contents will be produced in strict adherence with BBC editorial guidelines. The Senior Content Producer will also be required to deputize the Producer Director when necessary.
- Complying at all times with BBC Media Action’s Code of Conduct and Safeguarding Policy and ensuring that all direct reports, freelancers and external suppliers are aware of their responsibilities under these policies. Reporting any related concerns as soon as they become apparent.
- Ensuring that all recruitment is conducted according to BBC Media Action policies with a strong focus on safeguarding considerations across the entire recruitment cycle, including an assessment of the safeguarding risks associated with the role which is reflected in the assessment and interview process as appropriate, rigorous checks of professional references and enquiries made with relevant authorities.
- To lead the conceptualization and production of a range of multimedia contents that meet BBC editorial and technical quality. This will involve effective planning, producing, maintaining and reviewing the delivery of high-quality work.
- Find contributors and interviewees as well as other sources of material, as appropriate and to the required specification whilst maintaining professional journalistic standards
- To ensure contents are culturally sensitive and comply with the project objectives, without undermining BBC editorial guidelines.
- Maintain editorial quality control of the output with due regard to BBC editorial guidelines and the aims of the program
- Work with other team members to ensure contents are available for distribution and outreach;
- To support the Producer Director in ensuring efficient use of allocated resources and budgets
- To contribute conscientiously to the maintenance of health and safety of staff, and of any other person who may be affected by activities under his/her control; to ensure that BBC safety requirements are fulfilled.
- Take a lead role, in conjunction with Producer Director, in design and implementing capacity building strategies with media partners
- To deputize for the Producer Director when needed; managing Producers and ensure they receive adequate guidance and supervision
- To liaise closely with other Senior Producers and production staff in other language teams, and with contributors, media partners and government officials
- To work with the Outreach Team to develop and deliver outreach material, strengthening quality of training and facilitation, creating opportunities for increasing effectiveness of outreach, expanding our reach, and creating new partnerships
- To work with the Project Management to align project goals and outcomes
- Co-operate closely with cross-functional departments [eg. Finance, HR & Procurement, Senior Project Management, Outreach, Research and Learning]
- The Senior producer may be required to contribute to or work with other programme teams, principal partner organizations and to have the ability to work across a range of skills and in a flexible manner, carrying out these responsibilities in accordance with the BBC’s overall standards and values
- Support the Producer Director in ensuring production expenditures keep within budget
- Support the Producer Director in ensuring that all necessary contracts, clearances or agreements under direct control are negotiated and completed.
- Plan and take responsibility for the efficient use of allocated resources and production budgets
- Undertake basic budgeting processes and keeping track of expenditure.
- Ensure feedback from production and research teams is considered and reflected in the content and outreach.
REPORTS TO: Producer Director
DURATION: To be Confirmed
Location: Addis Ababa with frequent travel to different regions in Ethiopia
Contract: Local terms and conditions apply (only Ethiopian nationals can apply)
Required skills, knowledge and experience
- Degree in Journalism or equivalent
- Demonstrate a minimum of 5 years’ experience in journalism, especially multimedia production.
- Experience in generating and producing content for online (social media) audiences
- Fluency in written and spoken Tigrigna language is required.
- Functional written and spoken English is required
- Wide familiarity with Ethiopia and an in-depth understanding of the country’s health, social issues, mindsets and attitudes
- An extensive knowledge of the media landscape
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office packages and related computer applications is required
- Working knowledge of Adobe Creative Cloud packages and related computer applications is desirable
- Filming, editing and graphic designing skills are desirable
- Experience as an illustrator and solid knowledge of digital sketching and drawing skill is desirable
- Experience in training others is desirable.
- The following competencies (behaviours and characteristics) have been identified as key to success in the job. Successful candidates are expected to demonstrate these competencies.
- Leadership – Ability to create a vision and inspire others to realize it irrespective of circumstances. Able to present sound and well reasoned arguments to convince others. Can draw from a range of strategies to persuade people in a way that results in agreement or behaviour change
- Creative Thinking – able to transform creative ideas into practical reality. Can look at existing situations and problems in novel ways and come up with creative solutions
- Managing relationships and team working – able to build and maintain effective working relationships with a range of people. Work co-operatively with others to be part of a team, as opposed to working separately or competitively
- Developing Others – able to recognize potential (managerial, professional, artistic or otherwise) and be willing to foster the development of that potential. Create a climate in which potential can be realized
- Resilience – maintain personal effectiveness by managing emotions in the face of pressure, set-backs or when dealing with provocative situations.
- Planning and organisation – able to think ahead in order to establish and efficient and appropriate course of action for self and others. Prioritise and plans activities considering all the relevant issues and factors such as deadlines, staffing and resources
- Communication – able to get one’s message understood clearly by adopting a range of styles, tools and techniques appropriate to the audience and the nature of the information. Good negotiating and diplomatic skills
- Flexibility – adapt and work effectively with a variety of situations, individuals or groups. Able to understand and appreciate different and opposing perspectives on an issue, to adapt an approach as the requirements of a situation change, and to change or easily accept changes in one’s own organisation or job requirements
- Time and Stress Management – Good time management and ability to prioritize a heavy workload under pressure
- Self-Development – Is able to identify and apply opportunities for learning and development
Interested applicants who meet the above requirements should ONLY send cover letter and CV with three names of reference to email@example.com before OR on June 29, 2021.
Note: This list is not exhaustive. The successful candidate may, from time to time, be required to take on other duties as directed by the Producer Director or a senior member of staff.
The BBC is an equal opportunity employer.