Plan International is an independent development and humanitarian organization that advances children’s rights and equality for girls.
We believe in the power and potential of every child. But this is often suppressed by poverty, violence, exclusion and discrimination. And it’s girls who are most affected.
Working together with children, young people, our supporters and partners, we strive for a just world, tackling the root causes of the challenges facing girls and all vulnerable children.
We support children’s rights from birth until they reach adulthood. And we enable children to prepare for – and respond to – crises and adversity. We drive changes in practice and policy at local, national and global levels using our reach, experience and knowledge.
We have been building powerful partnerships for children for over 80 years, and are now active in more than 70 countries.
The Roving Hygiene Promotion Officer is responsible for:
• Ensure an integrated and sustainable safe drinking water utilization in community and ensure safe management of water in the community
• Ensure sense of ownership and responsibility through active participation of community engagement during construction and after construction.
• Ensure the project is technically sound and are “high quality” and are aligned to the Plan’s country strategic plan, WASH Program Objective (PO) and principles.
• Ensure effective and efficient management of financial resources, including review and check project budgets, monitoring expenditures and implementing cost control measures in consultation with Emergency response team leader / Coordinator.
• Prepare quarterly and annual detail implementation work plans and budgets for hygiene promotion activities.
• Prepare and report monthly and quarterly program as well as financial updates in consultation with line manager to ensure hygiene promotion activities deliverables in due time
• Share technical guidance notes and tools for program and partner staff members on COVID-19 prevention and control mechanism.
• Participate in and contribute to annual district-based WASH sector annual planning sessions particular.
• In consultation with the line manager, the post holder will contribute to the development of learnt leant and best experience on hygiene promotion activities.
DIMENSION OF THE ROLE
• S/he is responsible for preparing effective activity and budget planning, M&E framing, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the project in collaboration with relevant district government offices and target communities at their respective districts and villages. She/he ensures integration as well as smooth teamwork within Plan and across government WASH sectors in the districts. Key components of the position include also establishing a system wherein all stakeholders take up their roles and responsibilities, strengthening networking, developing and strengthening partnerships and mainstreaming of child centered community development standards in the target districts. Through capacity development and advocacy, and by promoting change in behavior and norms regarding WASH and gender equality
• The post-holder will be based in Debre Birhan.
• The post holder will report to the ER Coordinator at the Program Area Level, APA.
Project design, implementation and reporting
• Responsible for quality standard of all ministry of health hygiene promotion standards.
• Ensure the sense of ownership on constructed wash facilities in line with the standard.
• Responsible for hygiene and sanitation promotion works.
• Coach project and government staff how to undertake ongoing technical support.
• Conduct field feasibility study to new project sites.
• Follow up proper management of construction sites and take measurement, quality control, give instruction with the consultation of the ER coordinator and other hierarchies.
• Establish and facilitate training to beneficiary at community, Education and health facilities/ institutions.
• Work for effective and efficient thematic area coordination in consultation with the project Health and Nutrition officer and Coordinator and other project staffs.
• Close monitoring and follow up for smooth and on time project implementation.
• Participate for Preparing and developing in consultation with appropriate stakeholder’s annual and multi-year project plan.
• Record and share good practices and case stories achievements of the project.
• Participate and contribute for quality and timely reporting and documenting of project activities including preparation of quarterly/yearly project progress reports.
• Manage and organize trainings, workshops and meetings that concerns the project at all district levels.
• Field supervision and quality control of construction of borehole, Rural and Urban piped water supply project, rehabilitation and expansion of civil works, construction of VIP Latrine.
• The post holder is expected to develop standard design for all infrastructure supported by Plan based on the humanitarian and government standard.
• Participate in bid process, Prepares Bid documents, and construction agreements and coordinates contract awards.
• Prepare take of sheet, cost and material estimation for payment and planning
Related to Program Design;
• Facilitate and collect baseline information and data from community submit to line manager for further analysis.
Related to Monitoring and Evaluation;
• Monitor project implementation processes, coordinate evaluations, share learning’s and document best practices.
• Prepare and submit a quality periodic narrative and financial reports in a timely manner according to Plan International and donor requirements.
• Provide technical support for partner and program area staff on effective M and E applications.
• Identify, document and disseminate best practices, success stories and story of changes from within and outside Plan International staff and other development partners.
• Ensure project learning and achievements are documented and disseminated widely.
• Ensure all project documentation is filed and organized for accountability purposes.
Related to coordination, partnership and networking
• In addition to the ER coordinator, he/she can be Serve as a principal representative to WASH thematic networks and clusters in the project areas that has relevance to the project implementation, to create collaborative and positive partnerships and alliances, and to influence policy that maximizes the impact of the project.
• Establish links and good relationships with relevant district government authorities, UN organizations, NGOs, academic and research institutions and the media, in the area of water, sanitation and hygiene to draw information and knowledge for project efficiency and effectiveness.
• Makes follow up and proper documentation and share of district government information, strategies with respect to water sanitation and hygiene.
• Facilitates communication and interaction between partners/collaborators and Program Area finance team.
Related to capacity building support
• Provide technical assistance and build the capacities of local partners in project management.
• Provide guidance to colleagues and partner staffs on smooth partnership management for enhanced project implementation.
• Ensure that appropriate partner assessment is done on time and communicated to relevant staff.
• Manage and monitor partnerships with implementing organizations, including their efficient utilization and timely accountability of funds allocated.
DEALING WITH PROBLEMS:
Complexity of problems handled & the degree of investigation, analysis, & creative thinking required solving them
The position involves resolving many challenges which typically occur in WASH Programs management at the PA level.
The post holder will demonstrate the ability to solve problems, while introducing innovations as needed to meet the demands of a dynamic and sometimes unpredictable operating environment while ensuring Plan systems and policies are adhered to.
The post holder will coordinate program portfolio to ensure the highest level of project quality and its link with the overall country program. This will encompass strengthening accountability, planning, management, adherence to policies and procedures, and promoting a culture for delivery of results, both short and long term.
ADHERENCE TO PLAN INTERNATIONAL POLICIES
Ensure that Plan International’s global policies for Safeguarding Policy and Gender Equality and Inclusion are fully embedded in accordance with the principles and requirements of the policy including relevant implementation standards and guidelines as applicable to their area of responsibility. This includes, but is not limited to, ensuring staff and associates are aware of and understand their responsibilities under these policies and Plan International’s Code of Conduct, their relevance to their area of work, and that concerns are reported and managed in accordance with the appropriate procedures
To maximize overall program impact through the optimized contributions of others, the post holder will be required to initiate, develop and maintain a range of working relationships, including with government counterparts, implementing partners and other development organizations with the region.
Effective working relationships within the program unit are also essential. The job holder will have frequent communication with, Plan staff and various internal staff networks.
The nature of the job demands frequent travel to hosing community to reach out the beneficiaries.
LEVEL OF CONTACT WITH COMMUNITY
High level: Frequent interaction with community
TECHNICAL EXPERTISE, SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
• At least Bachelor’s Degree in Environmental health, Public health and related disciplines with at least 4 years relevant experience in sanitation and hygiene promotion in emergency context, hygiene promotion in IDP out of which a minimum of 2 years of NGO experience.
• Demonstrated experience in the management of water supply and sanitation projects and infrastructures.
• Knowledge of the water, sanitation and hygiene sector.
• Knowledge and experience in supervising infrastructures on software part
• In-depth knowledge of project cycle management and child centered community development programming.
• Knowledge of development issues, trends, challenges and opportunities and implications to community development.
• Knowledge of effective participatory Monitoring, Evaluation and lesson learning systems and the process of project cycle management.
• Experience in implementation of integrated WASH, Health and Nutrition projects.
Skills Specific to the Post
• Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to build relationships with colleagues.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills, including presentation.
• Strong negotiation, influencing and problem solving skills.
• Numeracy and the ability to interpret financial data, in order to understand budgetary processes including planning, monitoring and reporting.
• Ability to analyze information and evaluate options including planning skills.
• Proficient in computer skills and use of relevant software and other applications
The closing date for the application in June 22, 2021. Qualified candidates should submit the application through DireJobs.
This position is only open to Ethiopian Nationals, who must be eligible to live and work in Ethiopia.
References will be taken and background and anti-terrorism checks will be carried out in conformity with Plans Child Protection Policy. Plan operates an equal opportunities policy and actively encourages diversity, welcoming applications from all persons meeting the skills and experience required.
As an international child centered community development organization, Plan International is fully committed to promoting the realization of children’s rights including their right to protection from violence and abuse. That means we have particular responsibilities to children that we come into contact with.
Plan International believes that in a world where children face so many threats of harm, it is our duty to ensure that we as an organization, do everything we can to keep children safe. We must not contribute in any way to harming or placing children at risk.
Female applicants are highly encouraged to apply.