The role of the National Irrigation Agronomist is to contribute to the work of the PIU in the planning and implementation of all measures related to agriculture including the work with water user groups. The National Irrigation Agronomist will be based in the Afar region.
Specific Tasks: The tasks of this expert are comprehensive and include (but are not necessarily restricted to) the following:
- Advise on the cultivation of forage, fodder crops, food crops, vegetables, and fruit trees;
- Design and assist in implementing demonstration plots for innovative agricultural crops;
- Provide technical support to the conservation and marketing of local agricultural products;
- Contribute to the preparation of land use plans together with the local population and in coordination with German Technical Cooperation (GIZ);
- Assist local communities in setting up water user groups (associations);
- Work together with the civil /hydraulic engineer and the soil and on planning and construction of appropriate rural water infrastructures;
- Taking part in supervision of works, acceptance of works;
- Contribute to the elaboration of environmental and social impact assessments for the individual measures to be implemented;
- Establish baselines and follow-up of project indicators.