Infant and Young Child Feeding (IYCF) Counsellor
IYCF Coordinator/ Senior CMAM Program Officer /Regional Programme Manager
Number of Posts
GOAL’s mission is to work with the most vulnerable communities to help them respond to and recover from humanitarian crises, and to assist them to build transcendent solutions to mitigate poverty and vulnerability
GOAL is a non-for profit organization that has been working in Ethiopia for over 30 years, towards ensuring the poorest and most vulnerable in our world and those affected by humanitarian crises have access to the fundamental rights of life, including but not limited to adequate shelter, food and livelihoods, water and sanitation, nutrition, healthcare and education. GOAL implements a range of multi-sectoral development, resilience, recovery and humanitarian responses programmes by being sensitive to cross-cutting issues including gender, accountably, child protection, HIV/AIDS. Currently, we work with pastoralist, agro-pastoral, pastoral dropouts, rural small holder farmers, rural/urban youth and street children to respond to humanitarian crises and build resilience in Ethiopia working closely with local communities, local government, donors and other key actors.
We envision a world where poverty no longer exist, where vulnerable communities are resilient, where barriers to wellbeing are removed and where everyone has equal rights and opportunities. GOAL Ethiopia’s main donors Irish Aid, USAID/OFDA, EHF, ECHO and other private donors.
About the position
To ensure the promotion of infant and young child feeding practice through the application of the IYCF protocol and Nutrition Harmonization strategy
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY/DUTIES
· Advising and counselling mother’s coming to GOAL’s nutrition programme on infant and young child feeding practice.
· Adhere to guidelines and SOPs for IYCF, CMAMI programme implementation
· Establish women to women supporting group and conduct discussion meeting at least once per month with each group
· Compile a register of women who have infants and children between 0-24 months
· Organize training for the community outreach team on infant and young child feeding practices
· Disseminate BCC/ICC materials on IYCF for use by community nutrition workers in the local language
· Organize demonstration sessions on breast feeding and complementary feeding for the Mother to Mother support groups
· Organize health education sessions on the importance of infant and young child feeding practices.
· Link programme activities with community outreach and follow-up beneficiaries in the community
· Document and file all relevant information of the targeted group related to IYCF according to donors requirement. Conserve those documents in a very accessible place
· Respect the dignity of the target group, carers and members of the refugee and host community
· Submit a monthly and weekly statistical and narrative report to immediate supervisor on time.
· Perform/Assist in any other tasks as required by immediate supervisor.
· The employee must read, understand and implement, according to area of responsibility, GOAL’s polices and procedures on mainstreaming of Gender, HIV/AIDS and Child Protection.
· Familiarize self and understand to GOAL Donor Compliance issues, specifically to the terms and conditions of the Donor the programme is working on and comply with same in area of responsibility.
Do you want to join an exciting organization that brings high level impact to the community and add value to your professional advancement? Then join us if you have:
· Diploma or Bsc degree in nursing with a minimum of two years of experience for Bsc holder and four years experience for Diploma holder in counselling on young child feeding or nutrition areas.
Key qualities, Skills and Competences: (list of qualities that are considered necessary for the specific post which are believed to be key to the success of the job holder in the specific post):
· Familiarity in providing counseling to mother’s in refugee setting.
· Knowledge of local language and familiarly to culture.
· Flexible and creative approach, highly motivated and able to take the initiative and work unsupervised
· Excellent communication skills, both written and spoken. Knowledge of local language,
· Continually looks to improve personal skill, knowledge and work hence contribute to capacity building within the team and organization,
· Very good knowledge and practice of computer application,
· Willing to travel to remote areas and to camp in the field, ability to work flexibly including weekends and willingness to travel and work in rural locations and live in basic conditions.
· Understanding of humanitarian and development programmes and willing to travel and live in field sites, with frequent transfer from site to site.
· Accountability & responsiveness within areas of responsibilities.
Desirable qualities, Skills and Competences:
· Passionate, strongly dedicated and highly committed to work for the improvement of the poor community
· Resilience: Maintains focus and intensity and remains optimistic, persistent and professional even under adverse, stressful or difficult situations.
Note: This description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties and responsibilities associated with the position.
REMUNERATION and BENEFITS:
- GOAL will pay a competitive basic salary based on the salary grading with addition benefits.
- A chance to develop tangible experience.
- Being part of a team who continue to make a real difference to the lives of the most vulnerable people.
GOAL’s recruitment procedure is fair and transparent which is also in line with the organization’s commitment to its integrity, honesty and culture. GOAL is committed to ensure that, its performance complies with the terms and conditions of relevant agreements, applicable laws & regulations. Hence, pre-employment background checks will be conducted, and employees are required to read, understand, sign and implement different polices including safe guarding and child protection policy, Protection from Sexual Exploitation and abuse policy, sexual harassment policy, code of conducts and any other rules and regulation of the organization. GOAL is strongly committed not to harm the people under its care.
Interested and qualified applicants need to submit ONLY once their non – returnable CV & Application Letter for one vacancy. The vacancy reference number along with the position title and Duty Station need to be written in the application letter and/or subject of the email. Applicants can Only apply using the following option.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview and exam.
Shortlisted candidates will need to submit other supporting documents upon request at later stage.
GOAL is not able to contribute towards any costs incurred by candidates during the recruitment process.