Reference Number: JKP/CS/FI/01
Projected start date: 18th July 2021
Who we are
Jakenn Publishing is the media company of the present and the future of Ethiopia. We bring our passion for reporting and independent journalism to tell the stories which matter in the Ethiopia today and the Ethiopia being shaped for tomorrow.
JaKenn is widely known for its flagship publication and web portal Addis Standard. Started as a magazine in 2011, Addis Standard has evolved into the digital platform of choice for breaking news, analysis, and spell-binding commentary about Ethiopia that establishes understanding of happenings beyond your eyes and ears. One of the most followed media brands in Ethiopia on twitter and a solid web presence that has a firm grip on Ethiopia’s rapid political, economic, and social transformation, Addis Standard provides consumers content worthy of their time and attention.
As a young and dynamic company, JaKenn embodies an emerging multicultural Ethiopia where people are valued for their contribution to the development of a democratic and prosperous country. We understand that this means listening to our consumers, employees, and stakeholders in all processes from product development to execution. We value diversity and make an honest effort at providing an inclusive work environment that supports growth, nurtures innovation, and embraces risk taking.
As part of its corporate strengthening efforts and in accordance with compliance requirements of external stakeholders, JaKenn would like to hire a Finance and Administration Assistant to implement the day-to-day activities of the Finance and Administration functions in the company. This position reports to the Finance and Administration Manager and will work with other members of the corporate services team in a dynamic company.
Duties and Responsibilities
Finance Assistant (40%)
As the Financial & Administration Assistant for both external and internal stakeholders, the Finance and Administration Assistant will:
- Manage records, receipts, and conduct periodic reconciliation of transactions
- Process invoices, prepare balance sheets, and become the business
- Lead the internal and external audit processes by working with internal clients and the external auditor
- Coordinate the preparation of the budget and financial forecasts and report variances
- Prepare and publish timely monthly financial statements
- Handle monthly, quarterly and annual closings
- Reconcile accounts payable and receivable
- Ensure timely bank payments
- Compute taxes and prepare tax returns
- Manage balance sheets and profit/loss statements
- Process of financial documentation (vouchers, supporting documents, etc.) and maintain internal expenditures control system by ensuring that vouchers processed are matched and completed, transactions are correctly recorded and posted in the company’s system; and travel claims, payment orders (POs) and other entitlements are duly processed.
- Prepare of requests with all supporting documents for issuance of purchase orders, contracts, and other documents related to procurement of goods and services.
- Support all accounting operations processes including Billing, A/R, A/P, GL, Cost Accounting, Inventory Accounting, and Revenue Recognition
- Support month-end and year-end close process.
- Reinforce financial data confidentiality and conduct database backups when necessary.
HR Assistant (40%)
As an HR Assistant and an integral member of the corporate services team, the finance & administration assistant will:
- Support the recruitment process by arranging coordinating the publishing of vacancies; shortlisting candidates; supporting the written exam and interview processes; and providing other candidate services to the company including responding to candidate questions; conducting surveys, and related tasks.
- Provide employee support services including staff attendance records and documentation; processing leaves and work-related travel requests; implementing team building activities, conducting staff satisfaction surveys and compiling results for better overview of HR priorities of the company, and other related tasks assigned by the Finance and Administration Manager.
- Supporting the implementation of HR initiatives including health, volunteer, and charity initiatives and providing resources.
Other administrative tasks (20%)
- Carry out standard administrative duties that include processing and follow up of procurements, keeping contracts, staff attendance records and other documents, process payment requests, office administration, staff travel and other administrative tasks.
Kindly prepare your updated CV and cover letter in one file and send an email to HR@addisstandard.com using format “reference number- [Firstname] [Secondname]” as the subject line by 26th June 2021.