BBC Media Action
BBC Media Action uses media and communications to reduce poverty and as a force for positive social change. To achieve this, the BBC Media Action partners with civil society, local media and governments to:
- Produce creative programmes in multi-media formats, based on robust research, which inform and engage audiences around key development issues.
- Strengthen the media sector through building professional capacity and infrastructure.
BBC Media Action delivers a portfolio of media projects in Ethiopia. It seeks to expand this portfolio of work, but also ensure that existing projects are delivered to time, to budget and to the highest standards, and in accordance with BBC editorial values as well as BBC Media Action methodologies.
BBC Media Action Ethiopia is recruiting a creative and highly motivated Content Producer. We are looking for someone with creative flair and boundless energy who will make an important contribution to the team’s work.
Overall Purpose of the Job: Under the direct supervision of the Senior Content Producer, the Content Producer shall work with other producers and the multimedia team to produce highly creative, informative, and engaging contents across platforms.
Applicants will be able to demonstrate a range of production skills and have a working knowledge of content production systems for audio & video production and social media. Flexibility is a key part of this role; the Content Producer will at times take on other roles and duties as directed by the Senior Content Producer. The role will be based in Addis Ababa, with frequent travels to different regions in Ethiopia.
This role will involve working with media partners and volunteers, as well as with vulnerable youth and adult populations. As such, the role will absolutely require effective working knowledge of safeguarding policies and procedures in relation to protection of children and vulnerable adults. For the successful candidate, mandatory training will be provided on BBC Media Action’s safeguarding policy and staff code of conduct. A police background check will form part of the recruitment process. BBC Media Action operates a zero-tolerance policy concerning all forms of abuse and exploitation of vulnerable people.
- To generate original ideas for contents across platforms
- To produce distinctive, original, and engaging multimedia contents on a variety of platforms
- Creating and refining designs with illustration software and other creative tools
- To ensure contents reflect our audiences
- Working with Research and Multimedia teams to regularly analyze our Social Media pages
- Deputizing where appropriate for Senior Team Members
- To embrace new technology and working practices
- To display open-mindedness and willingness to collaborate and share ideas with colleagues
- To comply with the BBC’s policies and to apply the principles when carrying out the role
- To comply with all relevant BBC safety rules, procedures and guidelines, being aware of responsibilities under BBC safety policies
REPORTS TO: Senior Content Producer
DURATION: Dependent on confirmation of funding
Location: Addis Ababa with frequent travel to different regions in Ethiopia
Contract: Local terms and conditions apply (only Ethiopian nationals can apply)
Required skills , knowledge and experience:
- Diploma in Journalism or related field and at 3-4 years relevant experience in multimedia production
- Proven multimedia production background, preferably in behavior and social change communication/journalism
- Experience in turning ideas into compelling digital media content is required
- Experience in creating content for social media and online audiences is required
- Experience working in the field, especially in rural communities
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and influencing skills
- Evidence of imagination and an enthusiasm for generating new ideas, particularly those with the widest possible audience appeal
- Fluency in written and spoken Tigrigna language is required.
- Functional written and spoken English is required
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office packages is required
- Working knowledge of creative applications such as Adobe Creative Cloud or similar software is required
- Experience as an illustrator (creating still and animated graphics) or similar skills will be an advantage
- The following competencies (behaviors and characteristics) have been identified as key to success in the job. Successful candidates are expected to demonstrate these competencies.
- Managing Relationships – has an ability to establish rapport quickly and effectively with new people/contacts. Takes care to maintain and develop existing relationships. Works harmoniously with a wide range of people and deals sensitively with contributors as well as with colleagues. Understands the demands and pressures on others
- Influencing and Persuading – able to present sound and well-reasoned arguments to convince others.
- Developing Others – able to recognize potential (managerial, professional, artistic or otherwise). Willing to foster the development of potential in others. Creates a climate in which potential can be realized
- Creative Thinking – able to come up with creative ideas and turn them into compelling and high impact contents. Respectful and collaborative approach to creative ideas of colleagues
- Planning and organization – able to think ahead in order to establish efficient and appropriate course of action for self and others. Ability to prioritize, taking into account all the relevant issues and factors, such as deadlines, staffing and resources
- Teamwork – able to build and maintain effective working relationships with a range of people, as opposed to working separately or competitively
- Resilience – can manage emotions in the face of pressure, setbacks or when dealing with provocative situations. Demonstrates an approach to work that is characterized by commitment, motivation and energy.
- Flexibility – able to adapt and work effectively in a variety of situations, individuals or groups. Able to understand and appreciate different and opposing perspectives on an issue, to adapt an approach as the requirements of a situation change, and to change or easily accept changes in one’s own organization or job requirements
- Time and Stress Management – good time management and ability to prioritize a heavy workload under pressure
- Self-development – able to identify and apply opportunities for learning and development.
Interested applicants who meet the above requirements should ONLY send cover letter and CV with three names of reference to email@example.com before OR on June 29, 2021.
Note: This list is not exhaustive. The successful candidate may, from time to time, be required to take on other duties as directed by the Producer Director or a senior member of staff.
The BBC is an equal opportunity employer.