EDUKANS is an international humanitarian and development agency with headquarters in the Amersfoort, Netherlands, and country ofﬁces in Ethiopia, Malawi, Kenya, and Uganda which committed capacitating & supporting local partners and line government structures to provide marginalized children and young people with quality basic education and vocational skills trainings with innovative tools. EDUKANS focus on four key themes: quality basic education, vocational skills training, education in emergencies and equal opportunities for boys and girls (gender).
EDUKANS has been designing and implementing life changing and inspiring multi-sectoral development and humanitarian programmes in Ethiopia since 2016 across three regions (Afar, Amhara, and Oromia). Currently, Edukans is implementing an integrated project (education, protection as well as gender) in Afar for IDP and host community children which is funded by Unicef.
Purpose of the Role
The Child Protection in emergencies Officer is responsible for ensuring that quality child protection support services are provided to internally displaced persons mostly children specially girls. They will have their capacities developed to provide these kinds of protection to children in a range of Edukans’s emergency responses. The Child Protection in Emergency Officer will be expected to implement Unicef funded project entitled Strengthening access to safe & protective education services for girls and boys internally displaced and in host communities, which is being implemented in Afar with Bete approach, as well as support on sectoral assessment, planning, and overall coordination. In most circumstances, the post holder will be expected to mentor and/or build capacity of field staffs, schoolteachers/facilitators, school directors, WEO experts at grassroot level to ensure the project is implemented with quality and in time.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
- Demonstrate commitment to Edukan’s child protection policy through implementing the policy in its entirety and report any actual or potential risk situations following the reporting procedures, being aware of abuse and risks to children, being vigilant, becoming familiar with the Child Protection Policy.
- Ensure equal participation and benefit of boys and girls and children with disabilities in all phases of programme/ project implementation.
- Conduct child protection assessments using the adapted Inter-agency Child Protection Assessment tool.
- Coordinate with other Edukans thematic areas, the national and regional child protection working group and/or other external sector agencies.
- Ensure assessment findings are documented and that all assessments include a specific, disaggregated analysis of children’s needs.
- With support from education program lead and other senior programme staff, develop monthly and quarterly plans and costed plans.
- Support to the psychosocial (physical, social, emotional) wellbeing of children and their families.
- Emergency family tracing interventions and alternative care options for unaccompanied and separated children, utilizing tools within the Inter-Agency Child Protection Information Management System
- Work towards Prevention and response to sexual exploitation and abuse (SEA) and gender-based violence (GBV) in project communities
- Work towards Prevention and response to the main risks for children’s exposure to physical harm, all forms of exploitation including harmful child labor and child trafficking
- Support the integration of case management into CFS, PSS, and other SC emergencies core sectors on the field
Workplace/ Location: Afar Field Office, Samara, frequent travel to project areas.
Employment Period/Duration: 9 months with possibility of extension upon performance
Educational Qualification and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Sociology, Psychology, Law, and related fields of study from recognized university with at least 3 years relevant and direct work experience with NGOs.
- Demonstrated experience in the implementation and management of child protection in emergency projects.
Required Knowledge & Skills Specific to the Post
- In-depth knowledge of Child Protection sector, CPiE, project cycle management and child centered community development programming.
- Knowledge of development issues, trends, challenges and opportunities and implications to community development in relation to children.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to build relationships with colleagues.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including presentation.
- Proven ability to supervise a CP project with holistic approach and integrated to child protection right.
- Speaking fluent English, and Afar af is an advantage
- High level of personal integrity, commitment, and professional responsibility
- Team player with strong leadership skills
- Able to be a self-started and work in challenging contexts and fragile environment.
- Numeracy and the ability to interpret financial data, in order to understand budgetary processes including planning, monitoring, and reporting.
- Proficient in computer skills and use of relevant software and other applications.
EDUKANS is committed to safeguarding the interests, rights, and well-being of children with whom it is in contact and to conducting its programs and operations in a manner that is safe for children.
Interested and qualified applicants should send a qualification summary table, a cover letter (maximum 1 page) and CV (maximum 3 pages) to email@example.com. Education & work experience credentials should not be sent and will be requested after screening. The position applied for should be indicated in the subject line of the email.
Due to large number of applications being processed, not following application guidelines may lead to the disqualification.