Reference Number: JKP/ED/EBR/01
Who we are
Jakenn Publishing is the media company of the present and the future of Ethiopia. We bring our passion for reporting and independent journalism to tell the stories which matter in the Ethiopia today and the Ethiopia being shaped for tomorrow.
JaKenn is widely known for its flagship publication and web portal Addis Standard. Started as a magazine in 2011, Addis Standard has evolved into the digital platform of choice for breaking news, analysis, and spell-binding commentary about Ethiopia that establishes understanding of happenings beyond your eyes and ears. One of the most followed media brands in Ethiopia on twitter and a solid web presence that has a firm grip on Ethiopia’s rapid political, economic, and social transformation, Addis Standard provides consumers content worthy of their time and attention.
As a young and dynamic company, JaKenn embodies an emerging multicultural Ethiopia where people are valued for their contribution to the development of a democratic and prosperous country. We understand that this means listening to our consumers, employees, and stakeholders in all processes from product development to execution. We value diversity and make an honest effort at providing an inclusive work environment that supports growth, nurtures innovation, and embraces risk taking.
As part of its corporate strengthening efforts to grow audience and deliver content that is independent, factual, and attention-capturing, JaKenn would like to hire a Business Reporter (English). This position reports to the Managing Editor and will work with other members of the Editorial team to source and publish content for different products of JaKenn Publishing.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Business reporter will:
- Develop innovative ideas for writing business news.
- Stay up to date with the latest business trends and events.
- Research business stories and prepare interview questions as required.
- Write business stories using proper grammar and following the house style guidelines of JaKenn Publishing while also ensuring they are compelling and professional in style and presentation.
- Develop daily, weekly, monthly business updates and data reporting from primary sources and update regularly.
- Conduct interviews with business sector stakeholders and experts on current business and economic developments and over all national continental and international impacts and vice versa.
- Write breaking business news and stories in unique and interesting ways to attract readership.
- Conduct exclusive interviews with renowned Ethiopian business personalities working in or outside the country.
- Prepare reports, such as sales proposals, for a business development department.
- Conduct reporting on unique startups and their roles in society.
- Undertake business review reports on major local and foreign-owned investment activities in the country.
- Attend and report on business and economic forums, exhibitions trade fairs particularly relevant to Ethiopia and the horn.
- Rework pieces as requested by the Managing Editor & Product Editor (English) or staff editors and update pieces as needed for business stories
- Build and maintain strong relationships with members of the business community, the media community, public institutions, and other entities to develop access to credible sources of information.
- Meet all deadlines for assignments as requested by the Managing Editor
Reporting to: Managing Editor
Projected start date: 18th July 2021
Kindly prepare your updated CV and cover letter in one file and send an email to HR@addisstandard.com using format “reference number- [Firstname] [Secondname]” as the subject line by 27th June 2021.