As an International Christian Humanitarian Development organization, World Vision Ethiopia (WVE) is trusted to deliver integrated programs with target communities through its 51 Area programs (APs) located in seven regional states of the country. WVE envisions a thriving organization where our strong leadership at all levels results in improved delivery of results for children.
Purpose of the position:
Reporting to Program Effectiveness, Learning and Strategy (PELS) Director, the Safeguarding Policy Specialist will lead, develop/strengthen and maintain WVE’s strategic, policy and operational priorities in order to achieve the highest standards of safeguarding practice, quality assurance and performance in relation to protection of children and adults. The post holder will ensure that the organization has in place clear and effective policies, procedures, systems, resources, training, advice and support to maintain and uphold the highest standards of child and adult safeguarding in its operational areas. The post holder will be responsible for safeguarding audit and compliance on behalf of World Vision Ethiopia and regularly report to the PELS director. He/she will have overall responsibility to develop/enact and support best practice child and adult safeguarding throughout the organization and to work with stakeholders and partners supported by WVE to promote child and adult safeguarding standards. The incumbent is expected to lead the process of mainstreaming child and adult safeguarding across all WVE programs and functional units, provide technical assistance and capacity building opportunities to WVE staff in Safeguarding Policy and advice on strategic direction.
Policies, Systems, and Procedures
· Review and update the WVE’s Safeguarding Policy regularly to ensure that it is in line with all legislation of the country and to global standards.
· Develop robust systems, policies, procedures, resources, and structures in WVE that ensure the highest standards of safeguarding are in place.
· Ensure that there are robust and transparent systems for monitoring, review, and auditing of all aspects of safeguarding and that all APs and grant-funded projects adhere to and implement these policies.
· Induct all new staff on safeguarding and undertake a briefing on safeguarding practices and procedures for any visitor traveling to field offices.
· Further, develop and promote a culture of continuous improvement on safeguarding.
Adult and Child Incidents Management
· Ensure all entities in WVE track and report on all level 1, 2 & 3 adult and child incidents in accordance with the policy;
· Ensure timely follow up on level 1, 2, and 3 adult and child incident reports by all concerned and timely response to the incidents;
· Ensure all such cases are managed well and closed within the standard timeframe;
· Escalate failures on meeting the reporting and response requirements by all concerned to the Senior Leadership through the department for decision and action
Monitoring, Audit, and Compliance
· Carry out monitoring visits in conjunction with the Monitoring and Evaluation function to support, review, assess and audit the development of safeguarding policies, structures, and systems
· Manage audit and compliance within WVE as it pertains to child and adult safeguarding.
· ensure that the project partners are appraised and updated on a regular basis on the implementation and auditing of the safeguarding policies, procedures, and systems
· Introduce, as required, new compliance procedures.
Training and capacity building
· Advise and facilitate safeguarding training to WVE Staff, Board members, and volunteers
· Ensure that an up-to-date training record is maintained in the personnel file of each employee of WVE by P &C at HO and field office level.
· Support, advise, and work with WVE partners to develop their own safeguarding policies and standards.
Networking, Coordination, and Reporting
· Liaise, network, and maintain good working relationships with relevant actors
· Collect analyses and produce regular reports with regard to the implementation of WVE’s safeguarding policies, review, and audit.
· Coordinate and strengthen internal Safeguarding Committee at HO level.
Education & Experience Required
· At least five years relevant experience in child protection program design and management.
· Awareness of or interest in working with the most vulnerable children and families at local levels is an asset.
· Sound experience in monitoring, reporting, and managing different kinds of adult and child abuses including sexual harassment, physical, verbal and emotional abuses; various kinds of exploitations including child labor and seeking sexual favor from beneficiaries
· University degree in social work, sociology, psychology, education, law, or other relevant fields.
· BA degree with at least five years’ work experience or MA degree with two years plus experience
· Certificate in specialized training related to child protection, child rights, and inclusion programming
· Knowledge and experience on international and domestic laws relevant to child rights is an asset.
· Knowledge of and ability to implement integrated programs in the development and emergency context.
· Demonstrated flexibility and creativity in planning and problem-solving skills.
Working Environment / Conditions:
· Work environment: Office-based
· Travel: Frequent travel to a project site, RO, CPO, and AP
· On call: 25%
Interested applicants are required to Write Position Title on the subject line and attach the Current CV with three references & fill the employment application form which can be found
World Vision has zero tolerance towards abuse and exploitation of children and vulnerable adults. Every prospective employee, volunteer, and an intern is obliged to comply with world vision’s child and adult safeguarding policy.”