Splash is an international charitable organization headquartered in Seattle, WA, USA, founded in 2007. Our mission is simple: “Clean water for kids.” Small, young, and growing, Splash is in a unique position to be groundbreaking in the global health and WASH sectors, and able to try new approaches to address the needs of urban kids. In ten years, we have brought and continued to ensure safe drinking water to over 400,000 children in cities around the world. Through Project WISE (WASH in Schools for Everyone), launched in 2019, Splash is working with the government to reach 100% of government schools in Addis Ababa with full WASH coverage by the end of 2023 and is in a process of expanding its operations into additional geographies, beginning in Ethiopia.
Our core values guide everything we do, including every hiring decision we make. They are:
- People – People first. People second. People third.
- Quality – Beautiful products that function and last.
- Honesty – No drama, no surprises, no BS.
- Joy – Kids at heart, seeing potential everywhere.
- Mistakes – Make them, don’t repeat them.
Splash values the unique skills and experiences each of its staff members brings to the organization and we are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible environment for everyone. We provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and qualified applicants for employment.
This full-time position is based in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
The WASH Infrastructure Design and Quality Assurance Senior Manager will lead an established team of WASH infrastructure design work for Project WISE, which includes water filtration, sanitation, water storage, and handwashing and drinking water stations. This individual will support Splash staff and partners to adopt and update standard designs, regularly collecting data from completed and ongoing construction sites and providing feedback to improve the quality of our infrastructure works.
Cross-functional collaboration with other infrastructure team units (such as construction supervision) and Splash’s program strategy, behavior change, menstrual health, procurement, and finance teams will be critical to this individual’s success. The position holder will ensure that all WASH infrastructure works are designed efficiently and cost-effectively, and with the integration of critical behavior change and menstrual health components. The role is responsible for ensuring Splash’s WASH infrastructure provides services to users long-term and with minimal maintenance required. They will participate in government and non-government stakeholder engagement, provides technical assistance for partnership building, and actively participates in project design and fund raising/resource acquisition efforts.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
Design and Planning
- Lead team to plan, organize and execute technical walkthroughs at school sites in Addis Ababa and elsewhere in the country as needed.
- Assess opportunities to utilize different project delivery methods (such as design build or design bid build approaches) to increase efficiency of our work.
- Utilizing data collected during technical walkthroughs, lead timely development of designs, drawings, specifications, and tender documents for school sites, maintaining focus on sustainability and value for money throughout. Lead adaptation of designs, as needed, throughout construction phase.
- Through respectful and effective communication and capacity building, ensure that key stakeholders, including Splash infrastructure team members, government partners, and school administrations, have a thorough understanding of the design concepts that are created for school sites.
- Provide regular supports to government and non-government partners to adapt and execute Splash’s standard toilet designs for schools.
- Contribute to and participate in participate in government and non-government stakeholder engagement, provides technical assistance for partnership building, and actively participates in project design and fund raising/resource acquisition efforts.
- Lead effort to continuously improve upon Splash’s infrastructure standards and products, from modification of station platform designs to analyzing water filtration needs for Addis Ababa as the city grows.
- Support adoption of tools (from Autodesk software products to construction supervision checklists) to automate and improve the efficiency and quality of WASH infrastructure design and implementation activities.
- Conduct regular site visits to monitor the quality of construction work.
Capacity Building and People Management
- Conduct capacity assessments for Splash and partner staff, planning and conducting meetings and training activities to support this work.
- Create alignment among team members about scope and timing for each segment of Project WISE, leading team to complete work on time and serve as an effective unit of the Project WISE program team.
- Support professional development of design team members and build team relationships that encourage respect, cooperation, and trust.
- Liaise with procurement committee and procurement coordinator for timely purchase of WASH hardware and consultancy services, including bid evaluation, review of technical and financial proposals, and preparation of recommendations.
- Provide support to review standard tender documents and consultant and contractor agreements.
- Identify materials and equipment (such as water storage tanks and pumps) for direct purchase and supply by Splash.
Reports To: Program Implementation Director
Compensation & Benefits: Annual salary for this position will be established at time of hire and will be reviewed at least annually.
Education, Experience, & Personal Characteristics
- BSc in Civil, Environmental, or Water Engineering, Construction Management, Project/Program Management, or other related fields (MSc preferred)
- Highly proficient in WASH infrastructure design and construction management, and at least 15 years of experience working on major construction and/or WASH projects including personnel, project management, program leadership, partnership building, and experience with integration of behavior change, menstrual health management, and sustainability-oriented interventions; urban construction/engineering experience strongly preferred.
- Ability to collaborate effectively with international and local staff, local implementation partners, contractors, consultants, government partners, and vendors.
- Knowledge of water quality, water supply, sanitation design, sustainability management, and working with schools and local stakeholders to ensure local ownership of project interventions.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office and Project Management software and methodologies.
- Professional level of written and verbal fluency in English and Amharic.
Desired Attributes Include
- You exhibit absolute integrity, honesty, openness, and sound judgment.
- You demonstrate excellent organizational skills, self-motivation, flexibility, and the ability to work and thrive in a fast-paced, energetic, entrepreneurial environment.
- You are an excellent communicator, with the ability to listen, communicate effectively, and build trust with a wide variety of internal and external constituents.
- You enjoy collaboration and have a genuine interest in learning from and developing others.
- Innovative and creative: you constantly seek better ways to accomplish objectives.
- You think critically and put a high value on offering and receiving constructive feedback and criticism.
- You have a deep belief in and passion for Splash’s work and the children we serve.